One cool chick

People ask, "Who is that person over there?" to which people say, "That's one cool chick."

Friday, September 08, 2006

Hypocrisy

Hey all!

I know that I promised some of you to write about my trip this summer, but I have lost the drive to do so. I knew that if I didn't do it right away, it wouldn't get done, and here we are. But I'm happy to be back in the blogging community, now that the first full week of school is finished.

I would like to take this time to talk about something that really bothers me and that I've noticed in myself. I remember when I was young, we would take personality tests quite regularly (everyone had a different version, so they made us do them all), and one of the personalities was a "follower". They would agree with whatever anyone was saying. I used to be that person, and still am to a point (If I feel strongly about a topic, then I'll stand up for it). I realized that if I had no opinion, I would just go with my companion's opinion. Then, five minutes later, I would talk with someone who had the opposite opinion and find myself taking that one. Needless to say, it was a confusing time.

Now, lately, I have found myself to be annoyed with hypocrisy that I see in people. A couple of weeks ago, I was convicted of my own hypocratic tendencies. I had a conversation with a friend, and we were talking about people seeking fullfillment from changing things in their lives, like moving away because they think things will automatically be better. I said, "If you're not happy where you are, you won't be happy if you move." (How many times have we had that siad to us?) Then a couple of hours later, I was thinking about how I wanted to go on a big trip because then I would be happier. How ridiculous! I was a follower in conversations when I was young, and now I'm so trained with opinions that I just spout them without any reflection about how what I'm saying applies to myself. And that's the worst situation to find yourself in because how do you grow?

I don't know if this made much sense, but there it is. I also have a problem with "Remove the plank in your own eye before removing the speck from your brothers" (loosely quoted from who knows where in the Bible). Not because I want to remove the speck from other's eyes (although I know I try to more often than I should), but because I wish people would help me with the plank in my own.

The End?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... did you know that you are suppose to avoid having philosophy with breakfast cereal?
Love ya

4:40 PM  
Blogger Swoosh said...

I know. I was just feeling pensive. How're things going, my dear? You should e-mail me. (I think it's your turn, right?) :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger shinbone #4 said...

I like it when you're feeling pensive my dear :D

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home